There was so much good new music this year, this was a hard list to make. Longtime favorites of mine like Beck, Deerhunter, Chaka Kahn, Neil Young and Panda Bear all released albums this year and even they didn’t make my list. So let’s dig into my top 10 albums of 2019!
– Matt Carroll
10. Gus Dapperton Where Polly People Go To Read
– Super-catchy pop music. Definitely pretending to be vaporwave, but give the kid a break.
9. Hanna Diamond Reflections
– PC Music’s crown jewel finally releases her debut a few years too late maybe, but it’s still a great album. Hannah’s music is vapid in the best way possible.
8. Girlpool What Chaos Is Imaginary
– Just a good, quiet album. Post-ASMR?
7. Cass McCombs Tip Of The Sphere
– Cass is a peerless songwriter. He’s been quietly releasing amazing albums for several years now and he’s never really got the recognition that he deserves. This album is a good introduction if you’re new to his world.
6. Kim Gordon No Home Record
– Headline: Kim Gordon (of Sonic Youth) made a record with trap beats on it. Sold!
5. Solange When I Get Home
– Everyone slept on this album, give it a spin you rubes!
4. (Sandy) Alex G House Of Sugar
– A really solid indie rock album with unexpected IDM flourishes (!) and a few other surprises.
3. Chris Cohen Chris Cohen
– This is the best Yo La Tengo album in years.
2. Boogie Everythings For Sale
– No, not A Boogie wit da Hoodie. Just Boogie, and yes he’s on Eminem’s label (cringe). This is still my favorite hip hop album of the year.
1. Brittany Howard Jaime
– This is the album I was always hoping she would make. She really expanded on her usual palette of sounds with Alabama Shakes. A fantastic solo debut.
I would also like to shout-out my favorite vinyl reissues of 2019:
- Patrice Rushen Remind Me (The Classic Elektra Recordings 1978-1984)
- The Cardigans catalog
- Prefab Sprout catalog
- Janet Jackson catalog
- Warp Records WXAXRXP30